Saturday, October 24, 2020

Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable

 

I haven’t really posted about the new school year yet. Not because I don’t care but because I've been finding it hard to know what to say about it.


Two weeks before school started, I didn’t know what to expect, I didn’t have direction, couldn’t plan, so I just did what I knew & that was get my classroom ready & cute.


I felt like every time I walked in my classroom, I had an overwhelming feeling of panic. It was my fear of not being able to plan and be prepared.


As a teacher, that’s what I do. I plan, I prepare, and I thrive on that feeling of preparedness everyday I walk into school.


I’m a detail-oriented person. I don’t just plan. I try to think of everything. I pour my heart into doing my best no matter what. It’s exhausting but man it’s worth it.


I feel extremely blessed for my career. This is not me complaining about my current situation because I understand everything is different for everyone right now. We have had to change things from the way we have always done them & that’s tough.


But you know what? We were comfortable. That’s why everyone is so thrown off. We were comfortable the way we did things. Our everyday routine & way of accomplishing our particular task at hand was shaken. Why are we so afraid of being uncomfortable? Isn’t that when we grow? We get better when we are pushed in situations, when things are challenging, and when we aren’t sure if we will finish or succeed. If you’re not uncomfortable, you’re not pushing past what you’ve already done before.


It's easy to become comfortable. I feel like some people have things in their life that that push them in different ways-- workouts/workout buddies/gyms, church groups, parents, spouses, podcasts, etc. But for those that don't have something that's pushing you to try new things, go outside your comfort zone, or giving you a positive outlook on life.. this is for you.


I get it, no one likes to be uncomfortable. But if you truly want to see change & you want to be BETTER, you have to challenge yourself. Things have to take you to points you've never been, they have to test your mental strength, and you should feel exhausted afterward.

From the classroom aspect, do I feel like my current situation has made me a better educator? I’ve overcame a lot so far this school year. I’ve made changes, done many things I don’t agree with, and incorporated things that make everything more complicated and stressful. So initially I was thinking, no. This situation has turned me into a below-average teacher.


I had to take a step back and re-evaluate.


The teachers first week back, we had several meetings & Professional Development google meets where they presented our plan for the school year. Shew, it was overwhelming. Until one of our leaders  told us to view everything as a “challenge”.  From that point, my attitude changed. My competitive-self instantly knew I would grow from it if it challenged me...if it made me uncomfortable.

So today, finishing up the first 9 weeks of school, I can say this entire situation has made me a better teacher. It’s challenged me and taken me out of my comfort zone. It’s made me realize that I can overcome obstacles and teach no matter the circumstances. I honestly feel like our situation could still be worse. I hate to think that way and I'm thankful it’s not.. but it’s true.


The coolest part in all this is I’m still in the middle of it. I still feel like I’m drowning most days. I still feel like I’m not doing enough but I know in the moment, I’m growing each day, & I'm getting BETTER.


Do the things you do everyday challenge you or are you comfortable? Is your day smooth-sailing and easy or do you feel like things are pushing you in ways you’d rather them not?


If you’re not uncomfortable, you’re not growing.


I don’t know about you, but everyday I want to be better— a better Christian, a better wife, a better step-mom, a better teacher, a better friend, and a better athlete. I know if I’m not challenging myself in those areas & I'm not feeling slightly uncomfortable, then I’m not improving.


So here’s to being uncomfortable. Embrace the temporary feeling because it is just that... temporary. Keep pushing because each small choice you make to challenge yourself,  each time your choose something new and scary, and each time you choose difficult over comfort, you improve yourself.  Nothing beats the feeling of knowing you’ve made yourself BETTER. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀


Much Love, 
Cassie Jane
 

1 comment:

  1. love this cassie and it gives a new perspective.....i need to be uncomfortable...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Roadtrip Adventure: Exploring Western United States

  Adventure: an exciting or remarkable experience. - My family and I went on a road trip adventure. When I say this was a trip of a lifetime...