Tennessee Mountains 2016 📷 Yours Truly
What is service to you?
To me, service is simply doing something for someone else. It involves taking all attention off of yourself in order to put the attention on them. Service has to be a selfless act because in the moment of serving, it isn't about you. It's about the person receiving the service.
Last week, the annoying 'low tire pressure' sensor (that won't go away until you get it taken care of)showed up on my Jeep's dash saying my front right tire was low. Since it was slowly losing air, I figured it was just something small in my tire so I decided to take it to the shop to have them check it. If you live close to my hometown, there's one place that ALWAYS comes to mind when you need tire service-- Bob & Floyd's. This place is TOP NOTCH when it comes to service.
A solid example of service--
Bob & Floyd's is a successful family business that was founded in 1956. 64 years of *service* in a small town. Absolutely incredible! In my eyes, they must be providing a service that is top notch. I know from every experience I've had there, their service is the kind that I not only expect as a customer, but I admire it. Here are a few words I would use to describe this small business:
1- Efficient and quality: As soon as you pull up onto their lot, there's one employee ready with a car jack and one of the owner's meet you at your door, immediately greeting you and asking how they can be of service to you. They communicate the service to be done to the employee & as soon as your feet hit the ground outside your vehicle, the employee is busy staging the car jack where it should be in order to get started with the service. No hesitation. No procrastination. Like what!? Where else do you get service like that?? Not only is this convenient for you, but their efficient methods make it possible for them to service more customers.
2- Loyal: If you buy tires from them, they will take care of you. Free tire rotations and other small services.
3- Dedicated: The owners (who work) and employees are dedicated to their work. As I waited inside the shop, I felt like it was taking longer than what it should. I mean how long should it take to find something in a tire & fix it up. I didn't get upset or mad but just knew it wasn't as quick as it normally was. When the owner noticed I had been sitting for a while, he went to check on the employee's progress. He was even gone for a few minutes & then came back with some news. He told me that the employee was having some trouble finding what was in my tire but refused to give up on it. He said he found a tiny nail & that I was all good to go now.
4- Simple: They don't over-complicate anything. They offer only tire service. They don't mess around. I admire their simple approach to their business. Yes, their building is old, things are outdated, and their mind-set is somewhat old-school but having an old building and still using time card stamps doesn't take one thing away from the service they provide.
Why all the praise?--
So, you're probably wondering why I just gave them all the praise they deserve? Hold tight, I'll get to my point soon.
As I was waiting inside Bob & Floyd's I kept looking around and started to think about service in my life. What does it look like? Do I only serve others for personal gain (money)? Do I only serve others because it makes me look good? Or do I serve others because that is just what I am suppose to do? My parents taught me to be nice to others, so I help when I should or when it's right. What does it mean to me? I started asking all these questions and started to doubt myself. I all of a sudden felt like I wasn't doing enough. That's because I'm probably not. It's probably an area a lot of us struggle with.
How are you serving others? What does it look like in your life? Could you do better? Could you do more?
First of all, serving others can be big or little. Here are a few examples.
Small everyday ways to serve others--
1. Saying hi to someone.
2. Opening/holding a door for someone.
3. Mowing someones lawn.
4. Pick up trash
5. Write an article or story that will help someone.
6. Pay for someone's lunch.
7. Listen intently when someone else is talking.
8. Be a friend to someone who maybe doesn't deserve it.
9. Inspire others with your actions.
10. Write someone a card just because.
More organized ways to serve others--
1. Organize a community event.
2. Volunteer at a community event.
3. Volunteer at a local hospital.
4. Volunteer at a local nursing home.
5. Become a foster parent.
6. Donate money to charities.
7. Donate old clothes, shoes, etc.
8. Get involved with a church.
9. Mentor someone in your field.
10. Mission trips.
What do I want my life of service to look like?
I'm not saying start serving others the way the owners and employees do at Bob & Floyd's making profit off of tire services. But I am saying we can encompass some of the same qualities they do in their service into our own lives.
I don't know about you but I sure want my life and service to others to be defined by words like:
1- efficient & quality: I don't want to waste anyone's time. I want whatever I am doing for someone else to be my best effort. I have to be WANTING to do it. If it is an inconvenience or if I feel like I have something better to be doing, then my heart is not in serving others. I want the effort I put into something to be the best of my ability.
2.Loyal: My loyalty to others should matter to me. If someone depends on me, I need to do everything in my power to give them what they need. My loyalty to serving others should be a consistent every day effort.
3. Dedicated: I want to be dedicated to whatever I am doing. When serving others, I want to feel trusted and serve as a light for others. Dedication is not giving up on the idea of serving others after you've tried it or accomplished one volunteer service. Dedication is continuing to serve others even after the initial decision to has passed.
4. Simple: I do not want to over-complicate serving others. It shouldn't be forced. It shouldn't put stress on you. It doesn't have to be fancy or some big production. It shouldn't interfere with anything because it should already be a part of you.
Okay, so there we have it. I wanted to write on this topic because it is something I feel passionate about. I love helping others. I wish I had all the time, words, and energy to just pour into others. I get an overwhelming feeling inside of me when I think about helping other people & pouring love into their life in some way.
Serving others is something that Jesus instructed us to do. Jesus didn't come to be served, he came TO serve. Following him IS a life of serving others-- using your talents, abilities, and gifts to pour love into other people.
Here is to a life full of serving others.--
All my love,
Cassie Jane



No comments:
Post a Comment